Thursday, July 21, 2011

Super Nachos

When I was growing up, my mom used to make this recipe all the time.  Not only is it easy to make, but it's inexpensive, makes a lot, and it tastes AWESOME!  This was one of my sister's favorite dishes and the even better thing about it is that you can keep it in the fridge for days and just scoop out and microwave a serving whenever you want.
Here's the recipe:

1 lb. Ground Beef or Turkey
1 can Refried Beans (vegetarian)
1/2 - 1 cup salsa
1-2 cups shredded mexican blend or cheddar cheese
Sour Cream to garnish
Tortilla Chips

Optional:
Sliced green chilis
Sliced black olives
Anything else you like on your nachos


First, brown the meat.

On a side note, this is my favorite cooking utensil.  It's the mix-n-chop from Pampered Chef and is amazing!  I use it for all sorts of stuff when I'm cooking and baking.


Next, spread the can of refried beans in the bottom of a pan (I've used both a 9x13 and an 8x8) - straight out of the can, no need to heat.


Drain the meat and add to the top of the beans.  Turkey doesn't have as much fat so you may not need to drain it, but if you don't drain the beef it can get really greasy and kind of gross - especially if you're cheap like me and by the 80/20 ground beef.


Now, spread any kind of salsa you like over the meat.  I used up a couple jars I had opened in my refrigerator.  The amount you use will depend on the size of your pan and/or how much you like.


Now spread the shredded cheese over the top of the salsa.  Use whatever you like.  I got a Mexican blend and it works well.  Use as much or as little as you like.


Bake in a 350 degree oven for 10-20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and it's heated all the way through.


Serve with a dollop of sour cream (or in my case a container of sour cream - kidding!) and tortilla chips.  I'm sure this would also taste good in soft tortillas as a burrito, but I've never tried it.  Note the super classy paper plates.

The Verdict:
 
This is a home run when it comes to Mr. Picky Pants.  He actually requests this quite often and it's so easy to make, I'm happy to oblige.  Mr. Picky Pants doesn't like spicy food, so we use mild salsa and he's pretty set on having the bite-size tortilla chips.  Other than that, he's pretty easy going with this recipe.  It almost always ends up tasting pretty much the same regardless of whether I use beef or turkey, the brand of salsa, or the kind of cheese.  This is definitely a go-to recipe in my house.  I usually have most of the ingredients on hand and it's a snap to make.  I recommend you try this for an easy dinner in your house.

No comments:

Post a Comment